Code Enforcement

Quick Links

Recent Docs

Popular Docs


8787 Erie Road
Angola NY 14006
(716) 217-3500

Code Enforcement Department

Mission Statement

“It is the mission of the Code Enforcement Department of the Town of Evans to work in partnership with the Evans Town Board, Planning Division, Director of Community Development and the Police Department to promote and maintain a safe and desirable living and working environment. We help maintain or improve the quality of our community by administering a fair and unbiased enforcement program to correct violations of the Building Codes of New York, Municipal Codes, and land use requirements.”

All Code Enforcement Officers are New York State certified and are members of the International Code Council and Niagara Frontier Building Officials Association.

Please contact the Code Enforcement Office for the fee schedule.

Doing an interior demo and renovation? Installing or upgrading your heating or HVAC unit? Please make sure to get a permit.

NOTE: Contractors/homeowners are encouraged to make an appointment to ensure that there is an inspector in the office to provide assistance. Please make an appointment by contacting the Town’s Code Enforcement Department at 716-549-5753. 

Click here to access the full Town Code


John Flading

Code Enforcement Officer

(716) 549-0456

8787 Erie Road Angola, New York 14006

Assistant Code Enforcement Officers
Alex Haley
Parker McSkimming
Adam Czyz

Michele Wapniewski

Plumbing Contractors

All contracted plumbing work is required to be completed by a master plumber, who is licensed in the Town of Evans to perform such work.

2024 Master Plumber List

Reflective House Signs

If you would like to order some reflective house address number signs for your home, to make it more efficient for first responders to locate you in the event of an emergency, or even to comply with the Town of Evans code click on the link below and fill out the information as directed.

Reflective House Address Signs

Flood Map Revisions

2021 Flood Map – Fernbrook

Helpful Phone Numbers

EC Health Dept. (Septic Systems) 961-6800

EC Sewer Dist. #2 (Sewer Systems) 549-3161

Allied Waste (Garbage Issues) 1-800-283-4220

Dept. of Environmental Conservation (NYS Flood plain & CEHA) 851-7000

Federal Emergency Management Assoc. (Flood Hazard Areas) 800-462-9029

US Army Corp. of Engineers (Federal Wetlands) 879-4330

National Grid Customer Service 800-642-4272

NYSEG Customer Service 800-572-1111

National Fuel Gas Customer Serivce 686-6123

Verizon for Residences 890-7100

AT&T Customer Service 888-227-3824

Dig Safely NY (Underground Utilities) 811

Town of Evans Highway Dept. (Roads & Culverts) 549-3533

Erie County Highway Dept. (EC Roads & Culverts) 858-7966

NYS Dept. of Transportation (NYS Highway Areas) 847-3238

Town of Evans Planning Dept. 549-0945

Town of Evans Assessor Dept. 549-5752

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Information from the owner, like their name, phone no., contractors name, & phone no., estimated total project cost
  • Site plan drawn to scale or a copy of the property survey showing the size of the lot, location of buildings, location of improvements and distance to property lines and other buildings.
  • Building plans and /or specifications drawn to scale. Plans shall include details on footer, foundation, floor, wall, and roof construction, insulation, plumbing, windows and door locations.
  • Residential plans must show energy code compliance. Window and door schedules must be submitted and states the sizes, make and models of each unit to be installed, U-factor specifications, glass and clear vent sizes and potential egress capability.
  • For free software for energy code compliance go to
  • Some commercial building plans for new construction, additions, and change of occupancy must be referred to the Planning Board for site plan approval before a permit can be issued.
  • In some cases plans must be stamped by a New York State Engineer or Architect, in compliance with New York State Education Law. Changes or amendments to the stamped plans either before or during construction will not be accepted unless they have been reviewed by the issuing licensed professional. One copy of the site plan (survey), building plans, and specifications must be submitted for review.
  • Contractors must submit proof of general liability insurance (Accord statement), workman’s compensation insurance (C105.2 form), or New York State Insurance Fund form (U26.3) and disability insurance certificates for their employees, and subcontractors. An Accord form is not acceptable proof of New York State Worker’s Compensation or Disability Benefits Insurance coverage.
  • Self employed contractors with no employees, subcontractors, helpers or other workers must submit New York State Worker’s Compensation form CE-200 as proof of exemption.
  • Homeowners must complete a Worker’s Compensation waiver form (BP-1) if the homeowner is the contractor, or acting as a general contractor allowing someone to do work at their residence, whether or not they are being compensated in any way, and if being compensated the home owner is required to have a home owners policy in effect to cover a contractor working at their residence with all individuals on the site working an aggregate total hours of 40 hours per week maximum.
  • All building demolitions are required to have an asbestos survey completed on the project and a copy of the results must be submitted to our office prior to issuing the permit.
  • All new construction work will need a sewer connection permit from the Erie County (EC) Sewer Dept. or the specifications for the type of septic system required by the EC Health Dept.
  • An owner who has recently purchased a property will be required to submit legal document proof of their ownership, such as a copy of the recorded deed, from the county clerk’s office.
  • For structures being built in a flood plain area, an elevation survey for the property is required and a flood plain development permit approval prior to any construction permit being issued.
  • In cases where an existing structure is on a property and it is to be demolished and then a new building is built on the property then a sewer disconnect permit is required to be submitted with the new construction plans.
  • On some projects that are on the waterfront or next to large creeks and streams, it may be determined that a Waterfront Assessment Form (WAF) and / or a Coastal Erosion Hazard Area (CEHA) form would be required to be filled out and meet the approval of the town’s planning dept. and / or Dept. of Environmental Conservation (DEC) prior to issuing the permit.
  • Construction work areas that will be altering or affecting the access to or from a public road, street, or highway may be required to obtain a DOT work permit from the agency responsible for the maintenance to the public road, street or highway, and then submit a copy to our office.


  • Siding
  • Replacement windows or doors of the same size
  • Non structural necessary repairs
  • Installation or repair of driveways
  • Installation or construction of a storage shed 35 square feet or smaller



  • Check with our office for all items

No, they cannot be used on combustible balconies or decks. Cylinders greater than 2.5 Lbs. cannot be stored on balconies. All cooking must be at least 10 feet from the combustible building wall surface.

Yes, The Property Maintenance code of New York State requires smoke detectors at all of the following locations:

  • On the ceiling or wall outside the sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of bedroom area (where bedrooms are on opposite ends of the house one would be required next to each sleeping area).
  • In each room used for sleeping purposes.
  • In each story within a dwelling unit, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and unoccupied attics.

Yes, but a permit is required for a period not exceeding 90 days per permit and not to exceed 180 days per calendar year.

Yes, but it must be ether:

  1. Stored on a premises legally used, operated and located for a junk yard.
  2. The motor vehicle must be stored in a completely enclosed building
  3. Only one motor vehicle may be stored outside on the property under a proper car cover and is not in addition to a vehicle described in #5 below.
  4. The motor vehicle is the inventory or part of the inventory of a new or used motor vehicle dealer located in compliance with the ordinances and local laws in the Town of Evans.
  5. A motor vehicle is under repair, reconstruction or refurbishing by the owners thereof, who actually reside on the premises, in which case one such motor vehicle may be stored on the premises. The vehicle must be maintained and protected and not create any hazard or nuisance to surrounding property owners and shall not remain on the premises for more than 60 days.

Yes, The Town and Village require you to obtain a rental permit and have a thorough building and safety inspection prior to anyone taking occupancy. The application can be obtained in the Code Enforcement Office, and the fee for the permit would be paid once the application has been submitted, then the inspection will be performed, which the current tenant must be present for (unless unit is vacant, then the landlord must be present) or a waiver by the tenant can be signed to allow access while they are not home, providing all items are in order the rental permit can be issued.

The Town regulations regarding construction-related noise prohibits a person, between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. of the following day, to perform any construction or repair work of any kind. However, there are exceptions to this ordinance. For clarification, contact the Town of Evans Building Department at 716-549-5753

You may contact the Evans Police Department. Frequently, a police officer responding will be enough to address the matter. Should there be serious questions regarding the issue or if the matter is serious enough, the Police Dept. has emergency contact information for the Town Code Officials.

For residential purposes:

  • New construction of homes, garages, carports and other structures
  • Additions and alterations of buildings
  • Storage buildings or sheds 35 square feet or larger, including prefabricated buildings delivered to site
  • Decks and porches
  • Enclosing porches or decks
  • Extending roofs over decks and porches
  • Rebuilding, altering and structural renovations to any existing structure
  • Swimming pools above ground and in ground, including decks around pools
  • Installation of woodstoves, pellet stoves, fireplaces, wood boilers and chimneys
  • Demolition and removal of buildings
  • Any type of structural repairs being made to an existing structure
  • All yard fences or replacement of existing fences with new
  • Repairs or replacement of the roof structure or covering materials


Commercial Purposes:

  • New construction
  • Most improvements, alterations, enlargements, repairs and change of tenants
  • Change of Occupancy
  • Repairs or replacement of the roof structure or covering materials
  • Demolition work on the interior or exterior of the building
  • All yard fencing or replacement of existing fencing with new
  • Replacement or installation of any accessory storage type structures
  • Signs, including temporary signs

Town of Evans Newsletter

In an effort to communicate more efficiently with our residents, we have implemented this notification system. Please take a moment and register.